I suggest you ...

Provide bash client to integrate site into cli

This way, from a bash prompt, I could search for a command using tags or keywords and when I found the one I wanted, be able to edit or run it.

The flip side would be to have a way to quickly take a command you just ran and save it to the site.

95 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    deinspanjerdeinspanjer shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Rodney GomesRodney Gomes commented  · 

Here is my first attempt at the CLI tool written in Python 3... any feedback is welcome just report bugs, enhancements for the github project at: https://github.com/rlgomes/clifu

Currently it just does a simple search through either matching or tag search based on the API described here: http://www.commandlinefu.com/site/api but I want to be able to also have an easy way to add new commands to your account from the command line as well as possibly opening commandlinefu webiste directly in your browser for the term you wanted... we shall see what others upvote

• Rodney GomesRodney Gomes commented  · 

I'm interested in creating this CLI tool that would be useful for me to look up and share commands whenever something useful is actually found. I'm wondering if anyone has a language preference as I was thinking of just writing this up in python, since it would be very portable and easier to maintain in the long run.

• MarkMark commented  · 

Any progress on submitting commands?

• grepgrep commented  · 

PLEASE - PLEASE - PLEASE
        make this shell agnostic (POSIX compliant - runnable using sh - not bash)
        !!!!!

• Trevor BergeronTrevor Bergeron commented  · 

This could be used to both retrieve, submit, and save commands locally.
        $ clf --help
        CommandLineFu.com
        -f "searchterms" Finds a command on the CLF site
        -h Help (this)
        -n "command" Creates a New command on the site. Interactive. User/Pass must be configured.
        -r "command bit" Retrieves a locally saved command
        -s "command" Saves a command for later use with -r

Feedback and Knowledge Base